Cupping therapy, myofascial decompression, or massage cupping is a holistic treatment that many athletes seek out for injury rehabilitation and to improve athletic performance.
It is unclear where cupping originated, either with the ancient Egyptians or Chinese, but the theory is the same regardless. Like most other forms of injury rehabilitation, cupping is all about increasing blood flow to an affected area, relaxing muscles and accelerating the recovery process.
Benefits of Cupping
Listed below are the main benefits to a massage cupping session:
- Loosen tight muscles and adhesions. This is the main reason athletes find themselves needing help. Cupping therapy literally pulls adhesions apart and relaxes tight muscles.
- Increase blood flow. Skin is drawn into the cup during a session, and doing this causes blood to draw to that area. Once the cup is removed, blood flows more freely, bringing nourishment and accelerating the repair of damaged tissue.
- Reduce inflammation. The increased blood flow and pulling of skin away from muscles and joints also helps reduce inflammation by allowing the fluids to drain rapidly.
- Cupping pairs well with other treatments. Cupping Therapy goes well with therapies such as Acupuncture or Reflexology.
- The most common athletic complaints that are treated with cupping therapy are: neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain, joint pain, chronic muscle imbalances or muscle spasm, and plantar fasciitis.
You do not need to be an athlete to receive the benefits of cupping. You can use cupping every day for a variety of conditions, even to get rid of cellulite or spider veins! There are other benefits beyond injury rehab. Fibromyalgia, scarring, arthritis, and chronic neck tightness are just a handful of other conditions in which cupping therapy is used.
Want to take repair and relief to the next level? Treat yourself to the Bellabaci Aches and Pains Get Lost Kit and bring comfort back into your life!
Need to top up on your Bellabaci Products? Visit our online store HERE.